Prostate cancer is the second most common type of cancer in men. According to the world’s statistics, 1 of 9 men is diagnosed with this disease during the lifetime.
It arises as a small localized tumor, but without proper treatment the neoplasm advances and affects nearby organs. When we talk about therapy at early stages, doctors have plenty of options. Advanced stages, particularly metastatic cancer, are much harder to cure. The most effective treatment method in this case is innovative Lutetium-177 PSMA therapy.
Treatment of prostate cancer
Treatment scheme depends on stage of the process and equipment of the clinic. Best hospitals offer the full range of conventional options:
- Surgical treatment is the only radical option. Small tumors may be removed completely, with the help of sparing robotic techniques. In more complicated cases a surgeon additionally removes lymphatic nodes or part of the intestine.
- Drug therapy includes administration of chemotherapeutic agents and androgen deprivation therapy.
- Radiation therapy is performed by means of external irradiation and implantation of internal radioactive “seed”.
Prostate cancer treatment requires coordinated work of urologist, surgeon, oncologist, and rehabilitation specialist.
Treatment with therapeutic radionuclides is the innovative approach in therapy of advanced and metastatic prostate cancer. Lutetium-177 (or Lu-177) accumulates selectively in tumor and its metastases, irradiating them with beta particles and, thus, destroying.
In order to affect only oncological cells, Lu-177 is connected with the unique carrier – protein PSMA-617. The molecule of PSMA-617 was discovered by scientists from the University Hospital Heidelberg during their search of remedy for patients with bone metastases. PSMA-617 recognizes prostate cancer cells and binds to them.
Lutetium-177 PSMA therapy is performed as the inpatient procedure; a patient needs to stay at clinic for 3-4 days. After the completion of course, control scintigraphy and MRI are carried out in order to estimate the result.
Treatment abroad provides all possible options
Treatment of prostate cancer in the best hospitals abroad includes:
- Confirming the diagnosis by means of biopsy, scintigraphy and specialized PSMA-PET-CT scan.
- Elaboration of the most suitable treatment plan, including primary and supportive therapy. For example, surgery may be followed by androgen deprivation therapy or Lu-177 PSMA therapy may be combined with implantation of gold “seed”.
- Course of urological rehabilitation aimed at normalization of urination and sexual function.
TOP specialized urological hospitals provide a patient with all necessary medical services and high level of comfort.
Cost of treatment abroad
Prostate cancer treatment with Lu-177 is available only in world’s leading clinics. Lutetium PSMA therapy cost depends on a number of factors, including:
- Level of the hospital and attending physician
- Number of the procedures required
- Volume of control examination
- Duration of the rehabilitation program
Specialists from Booking Health will help you to choose the most appropriate variant among clinics with the best treatment rates. Booking Health is the specialized medical tourism operator that has successfully helped thousands of people to receive prostate cancer treatment abroad. We offer:
- Reliable information about clinics and doctors
- Booking appointment on the necessary date
- Monitoring treatment at all stages
- Comprehensive financial control
- Assistance of medical interpreter
- Help in booking hotels, tickets, transfer
- Confidence in the positive result of treatment